Sunday, April 21, 2013

'Orphan': A Novel Imagines Life In North Korea


I strongly recommend reading or listening to the interview below.  I know I have recommended reading this Pulitzer Prize winning novel before (along with Robert  Collins' report on Songbun http://www.hrnk.org/uploads/pdfs/HRNK_Songbun_Web.pdf) but I think listening to this interview or reading it should make anyone who is interested in gaining some understanding of life in north Korea want to read the novel.
V/R
Dave

'Orphan': A Novel Imagines Life In North Korea
April 21, 2013 8:00 AM

Audio for this story from Weekend Edition Sunday will be available at approximately 12:00 p.m. ET.
Listen To The Original Story

Last week, the The Orphan Master's Son was awarded the Pulitzer prize for fiction. Weekend Edition Sunday host Rachel Martin spoke with author Adam Johnson last year about his book. In that interview, Johnson explained that as part of his research he actually managed to finagle a visit to North Korea. He said his government minders maintained tight control over his itinerary, but they couldn't hide everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giving Tuesday Recommendations

  Dear Friends,  I do not normally do this (except I did this last year and for the last few years now, too) and I certainly do not mean to ...