Sunday, October 11, 2015

Homeland Scene Sums Up Islamic State

I watched a Homeland episode (the first episode of season 5) for the second time this weekend (I only saw the end of last season previously).  I could not believe the scene at Langley where a CIA officer just back from Syria  briefs a roomful of senior intelligence personnel on Syria and the Islamic State.  The only place I could find the video and the  transcript was on Rush Limbaugh's site (the only place google could find for me).  But this excerpt from the transcript sounds like it could be real.  I love the use of the words "program" (see the video) and strategy.  The video is at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=123&v=vApBZlaePec  (this also sounds like that part it could have modeled on Apocalypse Now and CPT Willard talking about Charlie getting stronger while he is getting weaker).

Excerpt (so you do not have to read through Rush's commentary below - but watch the 2 minute video at the link):

BOSS: Is our strategy working?
QUINN: What strategy? Tell me what the strategy is. I'll tell you if it's working. See, that right there is the problem, because they -- they have a strategy. They're gathering right now in Raqqa by the tens of thousands. Hidden in the civilian population, cleaning their weapons, and they know exactly why they're there.
BOSS: Why is that?
QUINN: They call it the end times. What do you think the beheadings are about? The crucifixions in Deir Hafer, the revival of slavery, you think they make this (bleep) up? It's all in the book, their (bleep) book, the only book they ever read. They read it all the time. They never stop. They're there for one reason and one reason only: to die for the caliphate and usher in a world without infidels. That's their strategy, and it's been that way since the seventh century. So do you really think that a few Special Forces teams are gonna put a dent in that?
BOSS: Well, what would you do?
QUINN: You're offering me a promotion?
BOSS: I'm offering you a hypothetical.
QUINN: Two-hundred thousand American troops on the ground indefinitely to provide security and support for an equal number of doctors and elementary schoolteachers.
BOSS: Well, that's not going to happen.
QUINN: Then I better get back there.
BOSS: What else? What else would make a difference?
QUINN: Hit reset.
BOSS: Meaning what?
QUINN: Meaning, pound Raqqa into a parking lot.


Homeland Scene Sums Up Islamic State

October 09, 2015
BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giving Tuesday Recommendations

  Dear Friends,  I do not normally do this (except I did this last year and for the last few years now, too) and I certainly do not mean to ...