- The future is characterized (not
exclusively of course) by states and non-state actors conducting UW and thus there is a requirement to conduct Counter-UW. SOF is organized, educated, trained, equipped and optimized for both (but does not conduct them unilaterally or in a vacuum but as one element of the means in support of a joint campaign and national strategy)
- We have the greatest Surgical Strike capability in the world but we need to prioritize and resource correctly (but not necessarily equally) our Special Warfare capabilities.
- We need Strategists and Policy Makers who have a deep (or at least sufficient) understanding of and value the strategic options of offered by UW and Counter-UW.
- Effective Special Warfare (which includes UW and counter-UW) is counter-intuitively characterized by slow and deliberate employment - long duration actions and activities, relationship establishment, development, and sustainment.
- SOF will have always have a role in hybrid conflict and major combat operations.
Alternatively stated: Policy Makers and strategists must have a deep appreciation for and understanding of the strategic value of the full range of SOF options to effectively support US national security objectives in the future uncertain operating environment that can be characterized as few existential threats facing the US but a wide range of irregular, unconventional, and political warfare threats against our friends, partners and allies.