Friday, July 6, 2018

Radical Proposal for SOF - Do Uou Want Effective Civilian Oversight?

Here is my radical new proposal.

Disband USSOCOM in Tampa.  Make JSOC a stand alone combatant command (4 star) and responsible for the CT and CP mission

Establish a new HQ for SOF  (less JSOC) in DC with a Secretary of SOF (civilian SECSOF) and a Chief of Special Operations (CSO - uniformed 4 star).  Have the new SOF HQ exercise its service like HQ responsibilities and give the new Chief of SOF a seat in the tank with the Chairman (i.e., add him to the Joint Chiefs).  Make the TSOCs 3 Star Commands and the main effort for SOF employment in theater.   I think that would realize Congress' vision in Nunn-Cohen and it would take the new Section 922 of the 2018 NDAA to its logical conclusion.

1 comment:

  1. I concur and after all the years since the NDAA and the amendment, it is time to get things straight so that SOF is not surreptitiously controlled by the services. A lot of research and a monograph later and I realize consensus prevented from reaching the best solution.

    ReplyDelete

Giving Tuesday Recommendations

  Dear Friends,  I do not normally do this (except I did this last year and for the last few years now, too) and I certainly do not mean to ...